Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Don't overlook sleep as a stress buster

One wise counselor made the comment that each of us is hanging by a thin thread, and it does not take much for that thread to break. I am astonished that more of us do not have an overwhelming physical and spiritual meltdown in light of the pressures from society, the demands of caring for children and elderly parents, and now, economic worries.

I for one know the importance of a good night's sleep. Scientists have documented that when we are sleep-deprived our immune system suffers; our thinking and judgments are impaired; and our fuse becomes very, very short. Sleep deprivation impairs our reflexes, judgment and thinking — not unlike what happens with a blood alcohol level approaching intoxication.

One lesson that I have learned: When I anticipate some challenging times ahead or an increase in demands and expectations, I try to be fanatical about "sleep hygiene." So, what does this mean? To me it means:

--Getting enough sleep. For me that means 7 to 8 hours.
--Having a bedtime routine. This does not include watching the news or some crime show, which are not conducive to a good night's sleep for me.

--Clearing my mind. Finding a way to put the worries and concerns of the day aside.
--Feeling thankful. Thinking back on events of the day for which I am thankful. Regardless of our circumstances, each of us can find circumstances and especially people in our lives for whom we should be grateful.

0 comments:


Free Blogger Templates by Isnaini Dot Com and Architecture. Powered by Blogger